Sunday 13 March 2016

Smitten

Lately I've been hankering for a slow hand sewing project. I saw some lovely versions of Smitten by Lucy Carson Kingwell on IG and I decided that this could be the project to satisfy that itch.


On Friday I diligently recycled some card stock at work and photocopied some sets of the templates (the pattern is for hand piecing but I wanted to EPP). After cutting out enough pieces for one block, I hastened to order the rest online. Careful cutting out with scissors is evidently not my thing :-)


The first block took ages and I think if there was a prize for the most awkward way to put it together, I would have won a huge trophy. Hopefully I can remember some of the things I discovered along the way when I get to the next one.


I'm using a bundle of Cotton and Steel Lucky Strikes for this project. I wanted fabric that would mostly eliminate the need for fussy cutting and I've always really liked the unusual colours in this particular collection. I'll add in a few low volumes and anything else that catches my eye from my stash. In the meantime I'm going to make some of the smaller hexagons so I can use some of the card templates I already have until the rest of the paper pieces turn up.

6 comments:

  1. Love this pattern, look forward to watching your progress! Lots of Y-seams I think, but you have got it nailed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern too! You fabric choices are perfect! I look forward to seeing this one grow and bloom! You could say I am "smitten" already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you ae going to have fun with this quilt... you've made a lovely start! It looks like EPP would be the way to go with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely first block. I need to finish my EPP Crtwheel cushion cover, don't know if I could ever finish an EPP quilt, much as I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this pattern too, hopefully I'll get around to it one day. Well done for making a start, I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, good choice! I've been eyeing this pattern, too. It's so pretty. I like the fabrics you've chosen! And I do love handwork for the contemplative aspect. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete