Sunday 8 November 2015

Auckland Festival of Quilts

We have had a beautiful sunny summery weekend here in Auckland, and what better way to celebrate the approach of summer than a quilt festival?! This year Auckland's Festival of Quilts was held at a new venue (the Auckland Netball Centre in St Johns).  It seemed, from what I overheard, that most people thoroughly approved of the new venue. I really liked the light and space. 

As always there was much to see. I was especially taken by this little wallhanging called 'Frida' by Ngaire Fleming and quilted by Leonie Wihongi.



I am a long time admirer of Robyn Croft's work. She had several lovely pieces on show, including this modern landscape - inspired by the Waikato country side and the changing colours of the horizons beyond those ubiquitous fences!


One of my quilts 'Treasure Hunt' (pattern by Amanda Woodruff) came second in the amateur small quilt (multiple makers) section. It was quilted by Carol Fearon, who did a fantastic job with it.




7 comments:

  1. Congratulations Megan. You must be thrilled. I loved your quilt when I saw it hanging-didn't realise it was your work at the time. there were some wonderful quilts and great to see so many modern quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your red ribbon! Your quilt is lovely and most worthy of recognition! That modern landscape is fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations - nice photo of you beside your quilt. I really enjoyed the show - so much variety, and such a high standard too. Pity we couldn't meet up. Maybe another time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your ribbon, you look really happy in the photograph. I love the Frida wallhanging, they have captured her face perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your quilt success. Lovely photo of you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't look all that small to me! It's lovely and deserving of a prize. Nicely done, Megan!

    ReplyDelete