Thursday 2 January 2014

It's a new year!

Happy New Year my friends - I hope 2014 brings you lots of good times.

In my professional/academic life 2013 was a relentless year of racing to meet deadlines, so I'm aiming for a more gently-paced year ahead. I want to enjoy the time I make to craft not feel irritated that I can't get things finished or feel like I am rushing all the time. I sat down yesterday, the first day of the year, with my little quilting notebook and made a short list of things I plan to work on over the next wee while. Not a deadline in sight :-)


I am determined to try and get over my ridiculous aversion fear of the quilting part of making quilts. So you will see I have added FMQ to my list. I have a plan for scaffolding my learning in this area - no point in being a teacher if you can't teach yourself something, right??


I've only got a couple more blocks to complete phase one of my scrappy Stardust quilt. I have also diligently basted my Miami Vice quilt top so that I can ease into quilting with some trusty old straight lines :-)


I have one longer project planned for the year. I'm launching into scrappy boots'n'all with Jen Kingwell's Gypsy Wife. I think I will aim to do a couple of blocks each month over the year. I'm not confident in my ability to get the scrap look working so I predict I will either love this quilt when it is done or completely loathe it. There will be no middle ground! Let me know if you are tempted to try this quilt too - we can form some sort of support group (how many glasses of wine make your completed blocks look better, that sort of thing).

Yup, I'm feeling pretty happy with my little list, it is nice to start the year with some manageable projects. As always, I'm looking forward to seeing your new projects too!

8 comments:

  1. That looks like a fabulous list for the new year. I'm with you on the being-brave-with-fmq-this-year-boat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you too on the FMQ! But first I need to do a bit more straight line quilting on my machine to build up some confidence! Happy New Year to you - hope 2014 is a great one for you and a bit more relaxing than 2013!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the gypsy farm wife made up. Stunning! I would love to do it but don't have the pattern. There is nothing wrong with straight lines. I love them ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I saw that one the other day and thought I would love to make it, but not at the moment. I want to make the Marcelle Medallion first! Totally hear you on the FMQ, just keep practicing. Wine is always good to loosen you up first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Small list does not mean less hard work! I am sure yu will do a wonderful job at the scrappy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Princess is looking at your stars. She says (I quote) "wow they are bee-u-tiful. How can she make them? Can that be a quilt for me?"
    Highest praise from a nearly 4 year old. She has excellent taste though (naturally!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - I could be convinced on the Gypsy Wife in a month or two - I just have to get up to date with my Citrus Sweet Love first. I'll get it ordered anyway. And I think a learning to FMQ support group could be good too. What's your plan? Craftsy? A book? I think you should come clean. We could have a Bernina learn to FMQ link party. What an AWESOME idea. You could do all the work and I'll swan over once a month and link up. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am half way through the Gypsy Wife - would love to join a support group! great blog name by the way!

    ReplyDelete