Wednesday 28 November 2012

Liberty cross stitch

I have had an enforced pause making my Liberty quilt top. I ran out of white so I'm waiting for some more to arrive. In the meantime I couldn't stop looking at the Liberty scraps I still have and wondering...
I remembered seeing this great idea and tutorial over at Pile o' Fabric for cross-stitch quilt blocks. This idea seemed to offer the opportunity to combine several things I love: hearts, cross-stitch and my precious Liberty fabric.

For any cross-stitchers reading this, I'm stitching a series of hearts on 50 count Newcastle linen. SLOW going. But I love the delicate effect. The cross stitches in fabric were much faster once I got a  little chain piecing production line working. Then some trimming...


And hey presto! A cross-stitch heart in no time (well compared to the real thing anyway). This is destined to be a cushion for the couch - although I'm not sure anyone will ever be allowed to touch it ;-)


Linking up at Lee's:
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced



13 comments:

  1. I saw the same tutorial and filed it away for later use. Your version is absolutely stunning. Who can go past the liberty/linen combo? I wouldn't let anyone touch that cushion either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great idea! Love it! Plus how pretty is your cross stitch work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh how great are those blocks?! I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! Love those Liberty prints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I would let anyone touch the pillow either! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Cross stitch is just beautiful! I have bought myself a pattern and plan to learn at christmas, I think the air may turn blue ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see those crosses done. The Liberty prints are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my, this is beautiful work

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks gorgeous in the Liberty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw that tutorial and thought it was brilliant, great to see it done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just love the liberties you have ! the bright blues look great on the white, and the crossstich is a real labour of love!!!
    Linda
    http://kokaquilts.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your cushions - I must get myself some Liberty - it always looks lovely made up.

    ReplyDelete